The Cowichan Valley International Student Program accepts applications via a secure online application system. Applications are submitted once complete, and you can save your application and come back to it as needed. We suggest you review the application and have all the required documents ready before you begin. Acceptance is considered once the application is submitted and the non-refundable application fee has been paid. Once accepted into our program, tuition must be paid in order to reserve your position.

Required documents include:

• Official transcripts or report cards, translated into English, from your last two school years
• Passport page (colour copy)
• Immunization records (for those students applying to the high school graduation program)
• Student Participation Agreement – this can be downloaded from the application, and all of the required sections need to be completed and signed by a parent, then uploaded.

We also recommend that you include the following documents with your application:

• Copy of IELTS exam results (if applicable)
• Letter of Recommendation: Have a teacher, school Principal, or counsellor write a letter of recommendation for you. It should include positive attributes about the applicant and what they will bring to our program. It should be a maximum of one page.
• Student’s Letter of Intent: This should explain why the applicant wants to come to Canada and to the Cowichan Valley. Introduce yourself to your homestay family, talk about your interests and hobbies. This should be written in your own words.
• Photo Album: You can compile some pictures about yourself & your life! Use a maximum of 5 photos compiled into one pdf document.

Immigration Procedures: Visas and Study Permits

All international students must obtain a student visa if you are studying here for more than five months. Applications can be made to the Canadian High Commission in your home country. Failure to get a student visa will result in a withdrawal of the offer to participate in the program.

Once accepted, it is your responsibility to obtain a Study Permit from the Canadian Embassy or Canadian Consulate in your home country. Students must obtain a Study Permit before leaving your home country in order to attend school in Canada for a period of longer than five months. You need to submit the following to submit to the Canadian Embassy or the Canadian Consulate in your country:

• an acceptance letter from the Cowichan Valley International Student Program
• an official receipt of payment of tuition fees
• proof of sufficient funds to maintain the student for one year
• medical examination documentation

It is your responsibility to ensure their Study Permit is current. Our office will assist with completing a Canadian Immigration Department application to extend a Study Permit.